1907 - Present
In the early 1900's, a group of dedicated Christians in the Selmore community felt the need of organizing a Baptist church. They had the faith to believe that this was possible. On December 3, 1907, this group met and organized with 17 charter members. At this time, the church was located across the street from its present location where the Christian Church now stands and was known as Union Church with Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian and Christian Church members alternating their services together. In 1920, Selmore charter members felt it was time to build their own building and decided to purchase land and build. They purchased approximately one acre of land from E.L. and Nola Payne for $2.00. The building was started and completed with the first sermon preached by the first pastor, Reverend Robert Baker, on September 25. Dedication services were held on October 29, 1920.
God continues to bless Selmore with growth:
- 1959 South annex of classrooms, basement, kitchen, restrooms and Pastor's office was built and dedicated.
- 1964 North annex of additional classrooms was dedicated. Two rooms were also added to the parsonage.
- 1969 Baptistery was built and auditorium was remodeled.
- 1984 New fellowship/classroom hall, kitchen and nursery were built and dedicated.
- 1986 Church purchased approximately three acres of land east of the church.
- 1993 Outdoor pavilion was built and dedicated.
- 2009 New worship center and children's wing was dedicated.
We look forward with hope and anticipation to what God has in store next for His church!
A Church Does Not Just Happen; It's Born of Human Need and Faith.